Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Croissants

Christmas Croissants

Recipe from Gooseberry Patch's 
The Christmas Table



For our Thanksgiving dinner(s)
I was in charge of baking rolls,
 and instead
of the usual tried and true rolls ~~
  I wanted to try something new.
That's not always the best plan
when you're baking for a special occasion.
But I took a chance...
  

This dough is put together one day
and baked the next.
It has an unusual method of preparation,
where part of the butter in the recipe 
is cut into part of the flour.
Then a yeasty mixture of flour,
 sugar, evaporated milk,
egg and salt  is mixed
with the dry butter/flour mixture
and stirred, not kneaded together.

At this point... (photo above)
I'm thinking that this recipe 
isn't going to work at all.
But... the next morning, after 
a rest in the refrigerator,
the dough is kneaded 6 times.
Yep,
just 6 times.



 Voila 
It worked!


The dough is divided
into six pieces,


and rolled out to a 16 inch circle.
Look at those dimples of butter.
It has to be real butter by the way.



Cut with a pizza cutter into eighths,


and you're on a roll.



Don't forget to brush with
an egg/water mixture before baking.
It's necessary for good looking flakey rolls.

I did forget for the 48 rolls I made
for our first Thanksgiving dinner.
At this point the rolls rest for an 
hour under a nice tea towel cover
and then baked.


OK,
For our second Thanksgiving dinner,
I made the rolls again.
But this time I was baking 
 the croissants before breakfast...

Do you remember when 
Meryl Streep's 
character made  croissants
in this movie?


She did the classic
croissant method of rolling
dough, spreading with softened butter,
folding the dough, 
rolling it out, 
 spreading butter
and repeating the process 
to achieve some
 awesome flaky 
croissants...

and then she filled them with 
chocolate.

Oh my gosh.
So, after rolling and
shaping 4 circles of the
croissant dough for dinner,
I decided to change things
up a bit and have something
sweet for breakfast. 


They were
delicious warm from the oven.
I'm thinking Nutella
inside would 
have been good as well.


They're Conner approved.
What's not to love?
Chocolate croissants and
hot chocolate 
while he's still in pajamas.

That's grandma memories
in the making.

Although the chocolate
ones were delicious,
I was even more 
impressed with the 
ones where I added 
shaved parmigiano/reggiano
cheese.
Savory delicious goodness.



This tray contains
both the chocolate and cheese 
croissants.  


 I wrote cheese and chocolate
on the foil pieces  to
keep track of which ones 
were which.



 Oh yeah,
I almost forgot to add the 
recipe.

Here it is.

Christmas Croissants
by Laurie Ellithorpe
Gooseberry Patch's
The Christmas Table

2 scant tablespoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
3/4 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs, divided
1 cup chilled butter
1 tablespoon water
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast
in very warm water, 110 to 115 *F;
let stand 5 minutes.
In a separate bowl, 
combine one cup flour,
sugar and salt.  
Add to yeast mixture; stir.
Add melted butter, milk and one egg;
beat until smooth.
To a separate large bowl, 
add remaining flour;
cut in chilled butter until mixture
is crumbly.
Add yeast mixture; 
mix well but do not knead.
Cover; refrigerate overnight.
Punch down dough.  
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
Knead about 6 times
and divide into 4 pieces.

 What? 4 pieces... I divided it into 6.
Oops! My croissants were small
so it's up to you what you want to do. OK? 
Next time I'm dividing the dough into fourths. 

On a floured surface, roll out each
piece into a 16-inch circle..

No wonder I couldn't quite get
the dough to sixteen inches.

Cut each circle into 8 wedges 
using a pizza cutter.  
Roll up wedges beginning at 
the wide end;  place point side-down,
3 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets.
Curve ends to form a crescent. 
Cover and let rise in a warm place
for one hour.  
Beat remaining egg with water;
brush over rolls.  Bake at 325*F.
for 20 to 25 minutes
until lightly golden.
Makes 32 or 48 if you goof up
and not even know it
till now... 



5 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering. Those look so yummy! Conner is a CU+TEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those look delicious! Too much work for me to make - which is good, because I would eat most of them. As it is now I have been pigging out on homemade treats going on 2 months. My pants are tight but doesn't stop me. I am enjoying these holidays, and will pay the price in Jan - Oct of next year.

    What a cute picture of Conner eating them. :) He has beautiful dark eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness gracious those look wonderful! I love making yeast breads but don't ever remember making croissants, I must give it a try. Your grand son looks all too happy to test them out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow they sure do look good~!! (:) glad you had a fun dinner..
    Oh I like Meryl Streep .. loved her in Bridges of Madison county too.
    hugs..Patty

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.