Friday, June 12, 2015

Little Bits


Granddaughter Katelyn, who is just
four years old had her first experience
with an ice cream truck.
The following day, she wanted Mama
to make a call and demand that the 
ice cream truck come back.
This is at their temporary neighborhood
which is a subdivision with enough
kids to make an ice cream truck owner happy.
Their own house is in an area where the
ice cream truck doesn't visit.

Their six month lease 
on their temporary home is up at the end of
this month.  They plan to camp out on their
property until their own house is finished,
and who knows when that will be.
Their home burned just before Thanksgiving.
The rebuild is taking way too long, I think.


Yes it's been way too hot.


I found a humming bird that seemed
to be resting a bit too long near the ground.
After awhile I went back to check on him,
and he was still hanging out in the same area.
I picked him up and it was obvious that he
had some sort of injury.  I thought it was
perhaps exhaustion, dehydration or something
 and it just needed to eat. 
 So I tried to place this very
light creature to perch on the hummingbird feeder.
It wouldn't grab on, so I tried putting it's beak
into the syrup to see if it would take some.
I don't think it worked.  I tried setting it upon
the feeder yet again and it fell to the ground.
I left it in a shaded spot under the feeder hoping
it would recover.  Other hummingbirds 
came to attack the little one and wouldn't leave
it alone.  So Rick took it to another location
and sheltered it so that the other birds 
would leave it alone.
The following morning it was dead as we 
expected it to be.  
We think it's wing was broken.
   



I planted a bed full of zinnias from seeds
earlier this spring.  This is the first one to bloom.
There's an orange/peach colored one out there
as well.


This is dinner
when it's way too hot to cook.

Take care and have a terrific weekend.




6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm dinner looks good. Poor hummingbird. I got a kick out of the melted ice cream truck. Nope I could not take the heat. Wisconsin weather is fine with me, today in the 70's.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the Hummer..Sad..you tried..The house should be done for sure..We built 2 houses that didn't take 6 months..Dinner looks wonderful..It's too hot to cook here too..I hope the whole summer isn't going to be like this..Mid 90's last 2 days..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so sad about the little bird - man talk about kicking it while down - that naughty mob of hummingbirds - so sweet that you tried to help it - I'm sure it appreciated your kindnesses- I'm with your granddaughter I want the ice cream truck to come down my street - by the looks of it I don't think it's gonna happen - your flower garden is going be pretty with your newly planted seeds and I'm totally digging your dinner - looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That zinnia is so pretty and unique. Sorry about the hummingbird, they are so beautiful. My grandson rescued one from the swimming pool the other day that was about to drown. They set it in the flowers of a hanging basket, it must have not been too bad off because after a few minutes it flew off.

    Your idea of dinner on a hot day is perfect, it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dinner did look delicious!!! Yum!!! Yes, poor bird... I like that ice cream tuck melted picture too. Your granddaughter is such a "hoot"(do they say that anymore) anyway I can just picture a child doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad for the little bird. Sometimes it gets so hot little birds just fall out of the trees.

    The salad is looks beautiful and delicious! xoox Su

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.