Friday, February 15, 2013

Going to Extremes to Get Out Of Jury Duty.




We can't see sunrises 
or sunsets from our house. 
We're between hills 
and don't have
a clear view of the horizon 
in any direction.
But we do get to enjoy
the color through the trees.
This photo above
is  sunset colors
as seen from our deck.
~~~

Well, about that jury duty...
I'm not on the jury anymore.
An alternate has taken my place.
I ended up having knee pain 
so severe that I asked for an 
ambulance to take me to the 
hospital.  

I was embarrassed 
as all get out,
but there wasn't any way 
I could continue
to be a jury member.

I tried,
 even going so far 
as to head to the nearest
pharmacy to purchase a cane
and OTC pain meds during
our lunch break on Wednesday.

I returned to the courthouse
and managed to slowly
walk uphill to get
into the courthouse.
I  made it out of the elevator
to the third floor, 
and that was it.
I could not take
 one step further.

At the ER they took ex-rays,
gave pain meds,
and removed fluid from my knee joint.
Ouch... isn't a strong enough word.

Now I'm waiting for the referral 
authorization to see a specialist
to get this problem taken care of.
I've put it off for years...
and now it's time to 
get it fixed.
There's a possible torn meniscus,
a bone spur and arthritis.
Dang.

Meanwhile I'm to stay off
my feet and keep my knee elevated
until I can get an appointment,
in March.

OK.  
Tomorrow is my turn 
to cook the main dish for our 
potluck serving about 45 people.
Rick is helping and
 I won't stay up
too long.  
I'm making pot roast
using cross rib roasts.

Back to the trial.
It involved spousal abuse,
and rape at knife point.
I don't want to dwell on that
but I did learn a lot
about the jury selection process,
the trial procedures, and 
the way they protect the jury
from prejudicial information.
We received a crash course
in DNA procedures
and what happens during
a rape examination at the hospital.

I wish I had been able to finish
with the jury process.
I'd like to know the rest of the story.
The defense attorney had started
his case and was questioning the
defendant in the trial  when 
we broke for lunch.

Being a jury member 
was interesting and the 
weight of the responsibility
to determine guilt or innocence
was nerve wracking.
I'm glad I got to experience
that, even though I was 
 anxious most of the time.

Now, back to the good stuff.
Liberty the thief. 


She loves grabbing dish rags,
dish towels, and pot holders 
 out of the drawer if it's been 
left even slightly open.
She also steals from 
  the laundry basket, 
and off the counter.

This dish cloth was clean and dry
so I'm assuming she grabbed it
from the drawer, since it
wasn't laundry day.
I didn't notice she had it
which must have been a huge
disappointment to her.
She rather likes getting a treat
as a reward for 'dropping it'.

She fell asleep with the dish cloth
 in her mouth and woke up 
just as I was taking her photo.


 Feeling rather sleepy still,
she just lifted her head,
looked at me,


and decided to nap awhile longer.

One more thing,
my daffodils are blooming.

The buds turn yellow,
and then Liberty takes notice
and bites them off leaving
the buds on the ground.
I've seen the guilty one do it
and no she's not eating them.

I haven't seen one bloom open.
We don't need to worry about 
the deer eating our plants anymore.
We have Liberty!


7 comments:

  1. Liberty is adorable and I hope your knee is lots better. Your story about jury duty brought back so many memories. Many (MANY!) years ago I was called for jury duty but had a 2 yr old and a newborn and was breastfeeding. Being a stay-at-home mother, I didn't have a babysitter and was so embarrassed to tell the attorneys that I was breastfeeding. When they refused to excuse me I blurted out that I'd be forced to bring the baby with me. They quickly conferred and announced that I was excused!-- Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I'm so sorry about your knee, I hope you get is resolved so you can be pain free!!! As for miss Liberty, I think she's trying to pull off the ol' Cinderella mom works me too hard! Just look at her with that dish cloth in her mouth like she's been dusting all the day long, what a tired dog! HA

    She's so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat...You are encouraging Libs to steal dish towels if she gets a treat for dropping them...So cute..So sorry about your knee..Is it ready for a replacement or just a good house cleaning ?? I don't envy you...I always wonder what will happen to Mollie if I can't walk her..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sorry to hear about your knee too! Do you think you will ever find out about that case?

    Your dog is so cute I must admit, even though I am a cat lover.

    Get some rest AND do what the doctor told you to do!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knee surgery! Been there done that. Maybe you can get by with orthoscopic surgery. I had that first in 2002 and 2004 worked until we moved here and the arthritis kicked in. I also had torn menicus in both knee's due to injury. If they recommend knee replacement you might want to consider it so you don't have to have surgery again later on. I am sure your orthopdeic Dr will recommend whats best. Its alot easier on you when you are younger to get the surgery done speaking from experience. I am going in for my hands on Monday. I want to see if its carpal tunnel or just arthritis. I really am sick of surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad it took having a knee give out on you to get out of jury duty, that doesn't sound like much fun at all.

    It seems we have dogs with very similar personalities. Ours loves to snitch socks out of the laundry basket, she never really chews them up so the thrill must be in the snitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just catching up on your posts. Sorry to hear about the knee pain. Surgery is never fun, but in your case I can see why you
    would be anxious to get the ball rolling. Liberty looks so cute with that towel.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.