Rather than stay in bed
pretending to get back to sleep,
I decided to get up and tackle
the blog post that's stewing
in my brain. Sheesh.
Alright already.
Here it is for what it's worth.
The photo above was taken
September 11th this year when
Rick and I were in Ferndale, CA.
I had purposely left my 'big girl' camera
in the car so that I could
enjoy visiting the shops and be
present in the moment
while spending time with Rick.
Then that tabletop oven
caught my eye and I mightily
wished I had my camera with me.
Because look how cute it is up
there on it's own cabinet.
The cabinet was part of the cooker.
I've never seen one built like that
before and at first I didn't even
know it was a cooker. I kind of
thought it was some type of
old fashioned refrigerator.
Anyway I thought it was way cool
and took the photo with my phone,
... and how weird is that?
I mean think about it.
Back in my younger days
watching Star Trek on
TV the future was really
far out there.
Those communicators they had...
ahem... look at our phones now.
OK then,
on to what actually was keeping
me awake.
Yesterday
was crazy busy at Costco.
The parking lot was packed,
the store was full of customers,
and the lines to check out were
awesomely long.
Way to go shoppers ~
helping out our economy
and gathering the ingredients
for our Thanksgiving feasts.
I've never seen so many pumpkin
pies stacked up and ready to go.
I'm baking ours from scratch
thank you very much.
While heading around the
refrigerated section I'm stopped
by a lady with a question
about which product she needed
for her recipe.
Half and half or whipping cream.
She also wanted to know if whipping
cream was heavy cream which was
what she was looking for.
OK...
On to Walmart.
I'm checking out in the
twenty items or less checkout stand.
I counted and I had eighteen items.
I'm such a rule follower...
After putting my stuff on the
counter, a lady behind me
with just two items started
a conversation.
The two items were the forgotten
ingredients she needed for her
recipe.
She asked if I could believe that
the tiny bottle of McCormick
pumpkin pie spice costs $4.
Unbelievable. It's not even
the regular sized bottle of spice.
We're talking the little short ones.
Then, with that
conversation in mind...
While at Trader Joe's
their spices caught my eye
and out of curiosity I picked
up their full sized bottle of
pumpkin pie spice for $1.99.
I'm thinking un huh,
maybe I need to replace my
pumpkin pie spice...
when a customer decided
to ask me about crystallized
ginger which was on the
other side of the isle.
So I'm wondering
why do people assume I
know answers to their cooking
questions...
...and I ask Rick when
he gets home,
"Do I look like someone
who knows cooking?"
Now...
insert that 'deer in the headlights'
look on his face because it's
a question
I probably shouldn't have asked.
OK then,
never mind...
what ever...
It's now almost time
for the coffee pot
to turn itself on at
5:15 AM and
it's going to be a great day.
Happy Thanksgiving.


P.S. For the life of me, I can't get that photo to center. I've tried switching it around several times and the current position is the best I can get. Perhaps it's because the phone photos are smaller.
ReplyDeleteA family member sent this to me today. "~~ Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind,only to completely forget what that purpose was? Turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memory lapses. Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that passing through a doorway triggers what's known as an event boundary in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next. Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale. It's not aging, it's the damn door! Whew! Thank goodness for studies :-)"
ReplyDeleteThere's one more thing I forgot to say. We had five inche of rain in the past twenty-four hours. What a day!
ReplyDeleteOh Pat that's for the laugh! What a way to start my day, I can tell it's going to be a good one!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you had answers to those questions !! I sometimes ask random people those kinds of questions...I usually get good answers...My answer is usually "Huh"??
ReplyDeleteConsidering you have posted some great looking food recipes, I would say yea, you "do look like a woman that would have answers for cooking". I think you have that lovely look of a woman who is content and makes people comfortable to be around. I think people could just walk up and talk to you about whatever...
ReplyDeleteThe receipe sounds good I have never made cranberry sauce may try it for Christmas. We are on our way home from Thanksgiving with son and daughter-in-law. 15 people for dinner we cooked and then every one brought a dish way to much foods but thats Italians for you! Daughter and 3 grandaughters were there to. We decided not to drive straight thru to TN its 12 hours and drove halfway and in Macon, GA for the night. It will be good to get home! I brought a jar of the tomatoe jam to daughter-in-law and she love it! Don't know yet if my daughter and grandchildren liked it.
ReplyDeleteYou must have that 'fabulous cook look' about you. But seriously, what is the difference between heavy cream and whipping cream?
ReplyDelete