Western Rattlesnake
Crotalus viridis
Pit Viper Family
Can grow to 4 foot 2 inches.
Caution: Aggressive;
gives warning by rattling tail;
holds it's ground.
Habitat: Forests, chaparral, grasslands,
rocky areas, mountains, and my yard.
Activity: Day and night.
This one was a baby rattler that
I came across this morning down on
the campfire garden area.
Libby didn't notice,
but I put her upstairs while
I got the hoe down (smile)
to take care of business.
I'm sorry that we can't let them
live, but they are dangerous to
our pets and kids around here.
It's already dead in these photos,
but his tail was still moving as
I was taking photos.
~ Creepy ~
~ Creepy ~
Rick came across another baby rattlesnake
earlier this month while I was gone.
Where's their mama?
Libby will be getting her
rattlesnake vaccination as soon as
she's old enough.
We've had to deal with rattlesnakes
ever since we moved here.
Scorpions as well.
~ Extra Creepy ~


I wouldn't want them around either..But I don't think I could "take care of business"..No guts.
ReplyDeleteGood rid-den's! I don't blame you one bit.. but girl you're brave.
ReplyDeleteGirl that would have scared me to death seeing that. You killed it! Way to go! Baby rattlers are more poisonous right? I wonder how many babies that momma had. One is too many!!!I didn't know they had shots for that, do they have them for humans? Sounds like you may need one. That other critter, scorpion I remember Kenny finding a few of those, totally freaked me out. Maybe you just proved another point - I AM THANKFUL TO BE IN IOWA!!! Only one deadly snake out here. :)
ReplyDelete