Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Welcome Rain


Late last month we had
some much needed rain.


It rained so hard it was creating
it's own fireworks display 
just above the picnic table.


During the last weekend of March
the rain was so heavy that the lake
was rising almost three feet a day.


Dock workers couldn't keep up
with the the rising waters to keep
the marinas accessible.


The lake level today is just 16 feet below crest.
That  didn't seem possible just a few weeks ago
since our winter was so dry.  The lake was 
down to 57 feet below crest.
~
It's raining again this week.
We're loving it.


  I wonder why the houseboat owners
named their boat 'Compromise'?

If this was their compromise ~
I wonder just what their other choices were.

In between rain storms,
we've been working on our
spring time chores.
We are mandated to keep a 150 feet
fire break clearance around our home.
So it's that time to 
burn debris, and rake leaves away
from fencing and around the home.
We leave most of the fall leaves on the ground
until spring time to help control
soil erosion, since we live on a hillside.
Monday I raked, burned downed tree limbs
and leaves,
and then fertilized the outdoor potted plants
with a stinky liquid fish fertilizer.

It was kind of smelly around here,
something like smoked fish...

 .



3 comments:

  1. We could use some of that rain. The farmers are saying it is a little dry. I like the sunshine myself. Today it is very cold! The sunshine is shinning but so misleading. Long sleeves, a jacket is a must to go outside. Still beautiful! Sounds like you two have been quite busy. I bet where you live is just beautiful - well I can tell that by your pictures - duh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rain dance!!

    The end of March and so far in April, we have finally begun to dry out. We have been SO WET since last fall... we need this break. We do a bit of burning around here too. Pretty much a constant smell of open burn in our town. We're allowed to burn as long as we post large open burn signs to keep the fire department from getting all bent out of shape. Personally I love the smell, it reminds me of Fall.. although, I'm very much looking forward to SUMMER first. ;O)

    Enjoy your rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your rain it wanted, I will give you all of our rain too if you would like.

    The compromise was that she probably wanted a yacht and he wanted a speed boat...they both had to give a little.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.