I'm lucky enough to have a husband who doesn't mind trips to the fabric store.
I usually try and go without him, cause I really like to take my time,
but occasionally he ends up there with me.
It's across the street from our favorite sushi bar
which opens a bit later than we like for lunch or dinner.
Often times, we have a half hour to wait, so where better to pass the time,
than across the street at the fabric store.
(insert not so innocent laugh here)
He helped me decide on this fabric for the totes.
It was important to get something, as
we knew I'd want to stay home while my eye is healing.
He knows my habit of walking away from something I want.
It's an annoying habit,
but sometimes I just can't decide if I should go ahead with purchases or not.
I needed a project that would be easy and non strenuous;
no lifting heavy objects, no bending over, etc. and this project was perfect.
We bought (on sale of course)
enough of these cute cherry and red polka dot fabric
to make a couple of Desk Deli Lunch Totes.
I found the pattern at a local independent sewing shop,
but it's available online at Quilts Illustrated. <--- click there.
The pattern, isn't actually a pattern.
It's a list of measurements required for each pattern piece.
I found it a bit easy to get confused with the pieces,
so I labeled each fabric piece with a Post It Note,
noting what size and what piece the fabric is for. Top, Bottom, Handle, Trim, Ties, etc.
I photo copied all of the instructions pages,
so that I could mark my progress along each step of the way
directly onto the copy.
OK, on to the reveal.
Here's the tote hanging on the plum tree.
I'm happy with how it turned out.
Those are black ties hanging from the center of the bag.
The inside lining have pockets for utensils, the coordinating napkin, an ice pack,
your cell phone, your lunch and there's even room inside to pack a book,
sunscreen, and sunglasses. Oh the last two items are so important to help prevent skin cancer.
Yes I am turning this into a PSA
Use your sunscreen diligently, and for goodness sakes
wear sun glasses. That part I didn't know, and I've been dealing
with basal cell carcinoma for a couple of decades. Sheesh.
Here it is with a bottle of water to give you a better idea of the size.
It's ready to pack for an impromptu picnic lunch outdoors.
~~~ and yes I sewed this with one just one eye open.
You should try it sometime... just kidding.
Fun!


I really like the way it turned out. Really cute! I could use a project to do this weekend. This has to be the longest weekend ever!
ReplyDeleteLove ya Kristine. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThis is fab! What a wonderful bag, I need one of these, any chance of a tutorial ;0) I'm a good girl, I always wear factor 50+ abroad and 15 at home (I do live in Britain to the 50+ would be overkill!). I've never had a suntan in my life!
ReplyDeleteWOW THAT IS VERY COOL!!!
ReplyDeleteI love it that Rick goes to the Fabric Store for you! I am so thankful you have each other.
Thanks Wendy, I'll see what I can do about a tutorial. I'm a bit uncomfortable with copywrite issues as related to the pattern measurements. We'll see what I can do though as I do have the fabric cut out for two more totes.
ReplyDelete