Mail boxes are so often filled with nothing but bills, advertisements and just plain junk anymore.
Gone are the days when my heart was thrilled with letters from family and friends and especially
from my Navy guy.
At first they were mailed from boot camp, and then from A, B, and C school.
Letters came from Great Lakes, and then hand written letters were sent to and received from overseas.
I still have those letters tucked away.
Phone calls were just too expensive, and limited to once a month when he was gone.
Communication is so much better now for military families, and I am thrilled for them!
It took two weeks for letters to arrive in the Persian Gulf or Diego Garcia.
Then another two weeks for his return letter to get back to me.
Sadly my letters have dwindled down from occasional to only at Christmas time.
Most of my correspondence now is though e-mail and Facebook.
This past Christmas was sad for us. Christmas cards came in the mail, mixed in with cards of condolence.
Each card brought fresh tears for our loss plus tears of thankfulness for those who took the time
to write to us offering their love and support.
I am grateful to them.
Now on to the photo above. This was a really good mail day. Oh boy, a seed catalog to dream over, a coupon from our friendly JoAnns and a postcard from a dear Navy family friend that we've kept in touch with. Hand written words of love from her to us. Wow! Really nice. It made my day ~~ and the week since receiving that day's mail.
I've yet to answer her, but I will. It will be a hand written note, even though I have her
e-mail address. It was just plain special to get her postcard in the mail. Thanks Debbie.
P.S.
1. That bridge in the post card photo is located in Coos Bay Oregon.
2. You've Got Mail is one of my favorite movies.
3. Our dog Brinkley was named after the dog in that movie.
4. I miss our Brinkley.
5. My handwriting has become terrible since computers have become so much a part of our lives, especially when I'm in a hurry, such as taking board meeting minutes.
How about yours?


I still "snail mail" and send cards often - especially to my aunts back east. Every once in awhile I will write to someone in town just to "lift them up". I think I was conditioned to do that because of the military. Yes, it is a "lost art" but I do enJOY each letter and card that I receive...
ReplyDelete