I have a glass cook top on my kitchen stove.
I'd rather not use this large canning pot on it.
Instead, I use this outdoor propane range out on our kitchen porch.
It keeps the heat outdoors and I don't take the chance of messing up my cook top.
It's fast, keeps the heat outdoors, and saves my cook top.
This outdoor stove also comes with a full sized cast iron griddle
in case you want to make pancakes for everyone in the neighborhood.
Crisp Pickle Slices
Recipe from my friend Jackie
4 quarts sliced cucumbers
6 medium sliced onions (She uses less, and I used 3)
2 green peppers, sliced (I used 4 )
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup salt ( I used pickling salt)
Ice
5 cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons tumeric
1 ½ teaspoons celery seeds
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
3 cups apple cider vinegar
Put sliced cucumbers, onions, pepper and whole cloves in a large container and cover with ice. Put salt over all and mix together. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over cucumber mixture. Heat all of this just to boiling. Put in your jars and seal. Best if chilled before eating.
I asked Jackie if she uses the boiling water bath afterwards and she said no. She fills her jars, covers with canning lids, and turns the jars upside down for a few minutes and then right side up. She hasn’t had any problems with seals or spoilage. I did do the water bath method.
For a tutorial on hot water bath canning method click here:
http://chickensintheroad.com/blog/2007/12/08/how-to-can-hot-water-bath-method/
Zucchini Relish
10 cups ground zucchini (I shred the zucchini)
1 cup ground onion ( I dice this)
1 or 2 green bell peppers1 or 2 red bell peppers
5 tablespoons salt
Mix the above ingredients and leave overnight in refrigerator. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
Add
2 ¼ cups white cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 teaspoons celery seed1 teaspoon mustard seed
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg ( I grind fresh)
Cook 30 minutes or until it looks clear.
Seal in ½ pint jars. I do the water bath method after sealing the jars.


No comments:
Post a Comment
It is so nice to hear from you.