Sometimes you just have to skip weekend work and go play.
The boat ramp view has changed alot. It was just two weeks ago, when you could hop across the water touching from both sides of the parking area. We had a beautiful weekend with temps way up into the low 70's. Lake level yesterday 37.27' from the crest.
This time we headed in a different direction on the lake to explore and head to a location mentioned on the radio fishing report.
And overshot our destination. But we didn't care. If you really want to know where you're at, you study the shoreline shapes and compare them with the map to specify exactly where you are. There are landmarks but sometimes the view just blurs into a "where are we~~it's all looking the same" guessing game. With 370 miles of shore line it's easy to get misplaced. Not lost, just not located on the map. I'm only talking about the difference between the coves. Hopefully you have an idea of which arm of the lake you are on. Photo below: Railroad Cove.
Later in another cove, it was time for a sandwich and a nap. It was quiet as can be with the exception of the birds calling and the water laping the shoreline, and later the woodpecker tapping away at this dead pine tree. He's in the photo on the underside of the middle branch, left side of the trunk.
Rick didn't even bother fishing. We just explored different coves in search of waterfalls and then checked out a boat in campground that will be very nice when the water is even higher. Today, it's 20 degrees cooler with a forecast of possible showers. It's getting darker and fat drops have started falling on the skylight. I'm crossing my fingers for more. I have a pot roast in the oven and it's smelling so good. The recipe was posted on the Compuserve's Cooks Forum in November of 2002, and I've been making it this way ever since. We've even made enough to serve up to 50 people at our Seniors potluck and it went over exceptionally well.
Royal Sirloin Tip Roast
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
4 to 5 pound sirloin tip roast. ( I use cross rib roast with even better results.)
1 cup chopped onion (I just use the whole onion.)
6 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 cans beef broth or 3 to 4 cups
Salt and pepper to taste
In a heavy dutch oven melt butter with oil over moderate heat and then brown roast. Remove meat and set aside. Add salt, pepper and onion and brown well. Remove from heat, add flour and whisk until well dissolved. Pour in syrup, vinegar and beef broth. Replace to heat and bring to a boil, stir often, then replace meat. Place in oven with cover at 350 degrees, for 3 to 4 hours. ( If meat isn't submerged, I turn the meat over halfway through the cooking time so the top half cooks in the gravy as well.) Skim fat from the gravy and thicken if necessesary.


I do so would love to have your weather out here! Today, we had cool weather, very damp and foggy - but the snow is melting! That day in the sun - napping, etc. sounds like a "dream" to me. How I long for a day like that. I am happy though for you two! We are just hoping to get our boat out this year, we didn't at all last year.
ReplyDelete