Here’s a couple of nests I collected last year from our property.
The small nest is from a hummingbird. They’re so resourceful. The nest has bits of lichen, and very small twigs, bits of dried grass. Disclaimer: Both nests were taken from downed branches due to fruit tree trimming and fire prevention brush clearing. I wouldn't take nests otherwise.
The larger nest has bits of dryer lint, string, twigs, dried vegetation and dog hair, which was from our beloved Brinkley. We used to brush him out on the kitchen porch steps with his hair flying everywhere. I had hoped the birds would make use of this free nesting material as it drifted away into the kitchen porch side flower garden. I knew they would like it.
The bird bath is frozen over this morning and so are the rain puddles on the deck. Soon, though it will be time to plant the garden. We still have a month to go before our last frost date. I'm not impatient though. Nope, not one bit impatient. ... Sigh, what a lie.
I checked on the local eagle cam and caught a glimpse of the eggs when the nesting parent moved around to stretch a bit. The great bird then, fluffed out and settled back onto the eggs to shelter them from the frosty morning. Then she/he started adjusting the sticks and branches in the nest. The eaglets should start hatching sometime around the 25th of this month. We have several pairs nesting around the lake as well. It's great to see them soar around and we've actually seen them catch fish out of the lake. Way cool!
We also have Osprey out there and they're just as awsome to watch. The Osprey are cleaver. We saw one steal a fish right off the hook as a fisherman was reeling in his prize catch. Now that's a "one that got away" fish story.


No comments:
Post a Comment
It is so nice to hear from you.