Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Extra Stops Along The Way,


I took several detours on my way home
from the pumpkin farm (last post).


Our daughter said to take the road
through Mt. Shasta (town) 
instead of the freeway on the way 
down the mountains.


So here it is,
with the colors at their peak.


I've talked to her since then,
and the trees have lost their leaves
already.



Now they're looking forward
to their first snow.
Hopefully we will have a wet
winter, but it's dry as can be now.
~~~
I took another detour


on the way home.
This is Shasta Retreat,


a neighborhood in Dunsmuir, CA


where my mom, her sisters
and my grandparents lived.




Did you see the rocky 
love note someone left?



You can just barely see
Mt. Shasta between the trees.


Heading back to the freeway.
~~~


I also stopped at Sim's Flat
to check on the fall colors there.
That's Mt. Shasta in this northern view
 above the river.
It's also the view of the bridge
you drive on to get to Sim's Flat
campground.  The campground
is free to use this time of the year.
You do have to bring your own water
during the off season.


Looking south and facing into the sun.
The dust on the lens is showing.


Sim's Flat was a trading post long ago,
then a Conservation Corp Camp in the 
1930's which is when they built the bridge.
It's now a pedestrian bridge from which 
I took the previous photos.




On the way out,
I stopped the car in the middle
of the other bridge to  take photos.
~~~

Continuing south 
and down out of the mountains,
I stopped at a campground
in Lakehead on the eastern side
of Interstate 5. 


This is Lake Shasta
at it's northern end of the 
Sacramento River Arm.
Shasta Lake is down
128' from the crest.


Here the trees were just starting to
show bits of color. 



You can barely see the new bridge
construction.  They're replacing
Antler's Bridge on I-5.

Now on the other side of the freeway,


we're looking back at
the green bridge that they're replacing. 


We used to camp here at 
Lakeshore East quite often.


It's much nicer when the lake is full.

Here at home,
the leaves are about mid way
between full color and loosing their 
leaves.  We were supposed to get
rain, but it didn't happen.
Instead, we're watching the leaves
fall to the ground.
~~~

We're 98% done with the front room
and hallway painting. We still have
a few touch up spots to take care of
and we still have to paint doorways
and put everything back into the room.
It's a scattered mess still.

I'm going to take the sewing machine
downstairs soon to tackle the 
upholstery project on our couch,
chair, and ottoman. 

Thanksgiving is our self imposed 
deadline... just a little over two
weeks from now.

Yikes! it's coming on fast.
I am definitely not ready for 
it to be the holiday season.
Are you?



5 comments:

  1. Such beauty abounds where you live, I am so impressed. Good luck on your projects and I hope the deadline doesn't come too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've made progress today. Not with the painting, but switching some furniture around. The bookcase went from the front room to the bedroom. The Hoosier Hutch from our Aunt moved downstairs from my craft/sewing/office room to where the bookcase was. I've torn up my upstairs room to move the computer desk away from the window. The light from the window was getting hard on my eyes due. I had half the books I own on our bed, so that bookcase project just had to be done today. Rick is rehanging the blinds in the front room and switching out the panes to a new color. I think we've made a total mess of everything, but it will get back together. Now my office room is a disaster with everything from the Hoosier hutch needing to find new homes. I do have a laundry basket full of cookbooks to donate....

      Delete
  2. Beautiful country Pat..Great pictures too..I'm never ready for Holidays..Not a fan..Bah humbug :) Already tired of Christmas and it isn't even Thanksgiving yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Missy, I do like Thanksgiving better than Christmas. I just wish we could have another October between now and Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  3. Oh those pictures are breath taking! How I miss CA - Mt. Shasta so beautiful, I had forgotten. Thank you so much for sharing those!!! It has been 23 years since I have been back there. How I want to come out there and take my son. I am praying about it. The time is the hard part more than money. Who knows maybe 2014. If not, at least I have a VERY GOOD FRIEND who takes wonderful pictures to share!

    As for Thanksgiving, it is at our house this year. So, I am cleaning, cleaning. I don't have to cook though, hubby will do that since my Mother-in-law doesn't trust me, I shall let him! I will be the clean up crew as always. Everyone is bringing something so we really don't have to fix that much - I am sure it will be a blessed time. Andy is supposed to come over, granddaughter will be with her mother though.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.