Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Summertime in May...

Well, Hi there.

It didn't take me a month to get back to the blog this time.  Progress!

The cruise ship obsession continues.
This past week I caught our ship 
the Golden Princess arriving in Ketchikan
Alaska on a port cam.


She's the ship on the right just passing
the other cruise ship already at the pier.



Here's the shot from the bridge cam
 just as it was
passing the other cruise ship.

Back to the port cam.


I was taking photos of my Kindle.


Obsessive um yeah.
You can also see the glacier and ice in the water
if you catch the ship's  bridge cam while 
they're in Glacier Bay. The bridge cam photos 
refresh every five minutes.

We still have several weeks
to wait until it's our turn
to be onboard.




Zinnia seeds are sprouting.  I still
have more seeds to plant. 
 I haven't gone to a nursery yet this spring.   
If I stay away, I'm not spending vacation money.
I've been spending time in the garden 
planting seeds 
and editing the volunteer seeds that
have sprouted everywhere. 
I transplanted three volunteer tomato plants
this morning.  I didn't intend to grow tomatoes 
this year as they don't seem to do well with 
too much morning shade and then scorching sun
in the afternoon.  
They wanted to grow.... 
Hopefully this will be a good tomato year.



The wall of Jasmine blooms every May
like clockwork. It's a heady strong scent 
that's sometimes a bit much.



The  still young cherry tree is loaded with cherries.


It looks like we'll get lots of plums as well.


I like the contrast between the new spring growth 
and the old growth on the redwood tree.


It was years before I knew the name of this 
shrub.  The name is on a piece of paper somewhere... 
 It's some type of mock orange,
but I can't remember the proper name.


Summer temperatures hit us last week.
It ended up 98 degrees.  Yuck.
We got the market umbrellas put up on
the deck for shade.  It gets terribly hot
out there.  The umbrellas help keep the
garage underneath cooler as well.


It's that time again.
I attended class for being a poll worker
for the election coming up in  June.
We're all feeling a bit rusty, 
since we didn't have elections in 2013.




They warned us that we aren't expecting
a lot of voter participation at the polls this time.
It's easier and the time goes faster when we 
have voters to help.  

This past weekend we had Senior Potluck.
The theme for us this time was Mexican.

Here's two chickens with cilantro stems, 
onion, pepper, bay leaves, and salt to 
stew for enchilada filling.



Tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno pepper
ready to broil in  the oven. 
Then they're blended till slightly chunky.


Shredded the chicken once it's cooled
enough not to scorch the fingers.


Saute onions, chop cilantro leaves,
add spices
and then mix everything together.


Ready for enchilada filling.
No photos of the completed enchiladas though.

I made two types.
One with red sauce and white tortillas.

The other recipe involved a sour cream
and tomatillo sauce making a white enchilada
with chicken and corn tortillas.
It made 5 pans of enchiladas, 
and I have some of the chicken filling 
frozen for  later use.

Back to the garden.


This was the first Datura metel blossom to 
bloom.  It opens in the evening and 
scents the entire front deck area.




Here's my dirty gardening fingers just to 
give you an idea of the size of these blooms.


A visitor to the datura.


At first I thought it was a small bee,


but I'm not so sure after seeing it's body.
Oh well.


My nicotiana is blooming now.
It too sends a wonderful scent around the garden
especially in the evenings or early mornings.

OK, that's it for now.
Take care... see you soon I hope.







4 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia...wow that is a big flower ~ Datura Metal Flower ~ must look for that at the nursery. Food looks good and Liberty is enjoying her time on the roof. Have a great trip to Alaska. Will look forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure made up for lost time..nice post..The port of Ketchikan brought back memories..We did the Alaska thing long ago..Good trip..I've missed you..Hope all is well

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh fun a cruise (:) just beautiful photos Patricia
    looks like some food I would just love (:)
    hugs..patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool picture of the "bee" - it looked like that to me anyway! A lot of cool pictures. I have missed seeing them that is for sure. Now it looks like soon we will be seeing a lot of Alaskan Cruise pictures! How long of a cruise is it? You might have said...

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.